Clockwise from top left corner:
1. These door knobs were part of a larger lengthy consideration. We renovated our apartment this time last year and decided to have a material palette of dark iron and white, reminiscent of early Modern design. The door and cabinet hardware throughout the apartment match in character.
2. This is our sweet little succulent and handmade pot from Tula.house in Brooklyn. Christan, aka the plant lady, is the best.
3. This soapstone backsplash and shelf above the kitchen sink is part alter, junk collector, reflection center, story of my life. The framed photos of my grandmother's plates are part of the "Memory Photograph" series I started a few years back.
4. This is my husband's belt. It's also our spontaneous solution to a handle for the murphy bed we sleep on every night. We wanted something that could be tucked away so to completely conceal the murphy bed when not in use. Voila!
5. This is River's baby quilt. When I was six months pregnant with River I took an evening quilt making class at Purl in Soho. It was the perfect craft to take on while expecting my first child. I signed up with the intension of making a baby blanket for him and this is it! It felt so good hand stitching while daydreaming of my baby. So much love went into this, more than any other piece of artwork I've ever made. The blanket has a nautical flag theme, which Riv just caught on to and really likes.
6. Cha Cha Cha Chia. These were gifts from my mom, Gram, to the boys.
7. My most loved piece of furniture, over 30 years old, lived in hiding for 25 years in my family's furniture store until 10 years ago when I eyed it and took it home with me. I think it's beautiful.
8. Last week's visit to the Children's Museum of Art in Tribeca culminated in the creation of Luc's rocket, my rocket and River's airplane.
9. This is our front door with three paint options. I love all three but in the end I think white is best for this location. I also kind of like the look of the paint samples, so they're still here. Oh, and our peep-hole cover is missing.
Do you have a favorite moment in your home? Is there a detail that speaks about you?